Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Beautiful Loser

I've noticed that I'm naturally drawn to odd people. Or they to me. I'm not sure why, but give me odd anyday over normal.

Salma Hayak (of all people) once said "People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves."

Perfect is not pretty, it's surreal. What is beauty if only perfection were the measure. We'd would never find it.

In Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, Lord Henry suggests that the only thing worth pursuing in life is beauty, and the fulfilment of the senses. He's a shallow dude...Henry not Oscar. Yet, we all pursue beauty to some degree: physical beauty, emotional beauty, and well spiritual beauty. Because in our perception, beauty is perfection.

But truly beauty is most astounding in imperfection..it's how nature intended it. It's what makes us fall in love. I think I see odd as beautiful because each of us has inherent oddness. It's what makes us unique. When you can find and appreciate something unique in a person, the more beautiful they become.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Thank you for viewing my blog. I nearly wrote "weblog," only hesitating because I realized I would sound very un-hip....a word which inofitself is un-hip. Ugh. Such is my life. My 17-year-old son was once telling me a story about a school friend who was getting on his nerves because this friend was so emotional. I was sharing this story with a youngish co-worker recently, describing his friend as "emu." She looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked, "do you mean "emo?" Believe it or not, I used to be cool. Anyway, maybe that gives you a little insight into my life experiment, where everyday is a new challenge. I hope I won't ramble and that I'll bring you a little laughter in my attempt to be thought-provoking.

Followers