Friday, October 30, 2009

Did a Bad, Bad Thing.....




If we were meant to always do the right thing, why did Ceiling Cat invent alcohol, cigarettes and the beach? This is where I got into trouble.

You see, back on Labor Day I spent a lovely 3-day weekend with good friends at our family beach house at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. My friend Terri, a lovely, petite, fun-loving woman with enough energy to power NYC, gave my husband and I a lovely basket of goodies, including his favorite spiced rum, and my Blue Sapphire gin, as a thank you for having she and her husband accompany us to the beach house. The only time Terri smokes is when she is drinking, so sure enough, after we'd made our cocktails and settled onto the deck to enjoy the beachy night air, Terri lights up. She offers one to me and I say "What the hell, we're on vacation!" and accept one.

My husband gave me the stink-eye, so Terri told him to leave me alone. That smoking on vacation is like drinking on vacation. You don't drink in real-life like you do on vacation, right? So this is just a temporary vice.

Riiiiight.

I bought a pack of cigarettes on my way home from the beach...because in NC a pack costs only around $3.00!! I smoked about 4 out of the pack before gagging. I ended up giving the pack to a co-worker.

Two weeks later, I drove down to Charlottesville, VA to see a concert with a girlfriend, and to go to Monticello the next day. As I arrived in Charlottesville, I stopped for gas, and saw a sign "Camel Lights - $3.50." I swear to cheeses there was a parting of the clouds and a voice spoke to me. So I bought a pack.

Since then, I've smoked a pack a week. I know that's not too much really, but heavens to Betsy Ross, I'm supposed to be a fitness professional! I profess Wellness in my daily 9-to-5! And furthermore, I haven't come out to my husband that this has become a regular habit. I'm living a lie!! Ceiling Cat, help me!

By the way, I don't blame Terri at all for my fall from grace. I"m responsible for my own decisions and actions. She just provided the opportunity. I made a pact with another co-worker that this weekend I will quit. Since doing that, I'm noticing the Camel Lights are barking back at me...I've actually gagged on the smoke twice this week. This is a good thing.

7 comments:

M. A. Nicholson said...

Hee - the girlfriend is meeeeee.

Also - stop that filthy habit right now, young lady!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm a "health-care professional" who totally walks the healthy lifestyle walk....except for smoking. Quit before you get too hooked again. I spend half my social time away from everyone else, having a smoke, and then getting flak for it.

You know who I am. :)

Janice said...

Throw them away. Do not buy another pack. EVER!!!

cinnamazon said...

yes, I know who you are, anonymous! But if you were here, I'd totally go on the deck and smoke one with ya. I'm very easily led down the wrong path :)

Anonymous said...

Once an addict, always an addict. I speak from experience. Throw them away before the psychological nagging becomes a physical yearning.

cinnamazon said...

Update. I quit. Yesterday. I met a woman at the Market who REEKED of cigarettes...like her pores were sweating nicotine. And her skin had such a pallor...like it was dying for oxygen. That did it for me.

Anonymous said...

Good news, I have not smoked in months, even had a few drinks! Sooo I won't tempt you this year my friend.
Love your posts!!!

About Me

My photo
Thank you for viewing my blog. I nearly wrote "weblog," only hesitating because I realized I would sound very un-hip....a word which inofitself is un-hip. Ugh. Such is my life. My 17-year-old son was once telling me a story about a school friend who was getting on his nerves because this friend was so emotional. I was sharing this story with a youngish co-worker recently, describing his friend as "emu." She looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked, "do you mean "emo?" Believe it or not, I used to be cool. Anyway, maybe that gives you a little insight into my life experiment, where everyday is a new challenge. I hope I won't ramble and that I'll bring you a little laughter in my attempt to be thought-provoking.

Followers